Penpalling & Letters

Thursday 7 April 2011

Hamburg memories

I have recently received this postcard: "Hamburg: der russische Dreimaster "Mir" vor den St.-Pauli-Landungsbrücken während des Hafengeburtstages" or "Hamburg: Russian threemasted vessel "Me" in front of the Saint Pauli landing bridges during the anniversary of the harbour". This is a view of an area in the city of Hamburg, Germany. When I received it I felt nostalgia about the place. Some years ago I had the chance to study in Germany, in a city not far from Hamburg, under the Erasmus programme of the European Union. I spent an unforgettable time. Living abroad meant broaden horizons, thoughts and ideas, besides having the chance to meet people from many different countries of the world. It was interesting and enriching in all senses, as there aren't that many chances to live together with so many overseas at once. This is why sometimes I miss those times and that international atmosphere. I feel lucky I had the chance to live that experience because the memories are great! I was in Hamburg a few times, which I hope to visit some time in the future again... I have never lived in Hamburg but still feels nostalgia when I see pictures of this city or receive postcards from the places in Germany I had the chance to see with my own eyes. If it only was possible to go back in time...

Saint Pauli is one of the one hundred five quarters of the city of Hamburg and it is located in the Hamburg-Mitte borough. It is situated on the right bank of the River Elbe, being the "Landungsbrücken" a northern part of the port of Hamburg.
If you are interested in learning more about this quarter of Hamburg you always can check about it here: Saint Pauli.

The stamp enclosed belongs to a series called "UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Old Town of Regensburg". The old town of Regensburg was listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. These stamps were designed by Prof. Dieter Ziegenfeuter and issued on February, 3rd 2011. The motif represented is the Cathedral of Regensburg. The value of each stamp is 0,75€, valid to send letters up to 20g from Germany to any international destination at present. A detailed description of the stamp series can be found at Deutsche Post Filatelie.

No comments:

Post a Comment